*Read and agree to the IBA guidelines .
*Read and agree to the Facebook group rules.
*Fill out the membership form. (Filling out the form shows you agree to all IBA rules and guidelines)
*Filling out the form does not guarantee you membership, it must be approved by IBA leadership
*Provide a proof of professional training attended that relates to your birth work.
*Pay membership dues once membership is approved. Membership is not complete until dues are paid.
*Attend at least three group meeting throughout the membership year (March 2020-March 2021)
*Volunteer in at least one capacity during the calendar year
*At the end of each calendar year (by March 1), provide a copy of 8 hrs of ongoing education that you have attended during the year to contribute to your birth work
*Pay dues in March ($80 in March, or 2 payments of $40 in March/September)
Please be sure to complete the entire membership form for your membership to be considered. By filling out this form, you are agreeing to abide by all IBA rules and guidelines set forth.
Indy Birth Alliance
Empowering Positive Birth Choices
Indy Birth Alliance Mission Statement
Birth professionals empowering a healthy birth community through support, service, education, and advocacy
Indy Birth Alliance Guidelines
Our guidelines are aligned with our mission statement.
Our group is comprised of non-clinical birth professionals, specifically birth and postpartum doulas, perinatal educators, and birth assistants. We strive to support professional training and certifications in each member’s field/area of expertise. Although we do not require affiliation with a particular organization, members must attend a professional training to qualify for membership, and pursue continuing education (8 hours) each year. Members must attend at least three of our group meetings throughout the year.
Healthy Birth Community
Members of the Alliance work together to form a supportive community. Although we each may have individual businesses, we work as a team to support the birth community. We uphold the standard values and ethics of birth workers with our clients and with each other. We treat colleagues with respect, courtesy, fairness, and good faith. If there is a conflict, we take it up one-on-one with another member and if there is not a positive outcome, we go to the leadership team for help to mediate an issue. We refer clients to other members as appropriate.
A birth professional is first responsible to her client and then to her fellow workers. We respect client confidentiality within our group. Although we may share stories and issues, we share them anonymously. We keep discussions within the confines of our group. We support our clients through our birth work. We support other members through our words and our actions. We show respect for meeting leaders and agendas by staying on track with our discussions.
Group members believe in the power of birth and parenting choices. We also understand that there are families who desire but cannot afford our services. Members are dedicated to help any family find services within the community, even when they cannot afford our services. We offer discounts or pro bono work when possible, or we refer to those who are able to offer help. We also work toward serving the community at large by attending fairs, educational events, and other events that can spread our message. We also plan events to serve or educate the community at large.
The Indy Birth Alliance first works at educating ourselves and then reaches out to educate the community around us. The main purpose of our meetings is to help birth professionals to gain skills and information to help in the successful pursuit of their work. We also focus on emotional support, as these professions can be emotionally draining. As our group grows, we will extend educational events into the community. According to each member’s abilities, she will volunteer as events become available.
We desire to present a united front to clients, as well as to birth care providers such as nurses, midwives, and obstetric and pediatric doctors. We work to bring our message of evidence-based birth choices to other professionals in any way that will help to create positive dialogue. As birth professionals, we will always advocate for our clients first and for our group or personal goals second.
Indy Birth Alliance Facebook Group Rules
The Indy Birth Alliance Facebook group is a private, safe space for those who have agreed to the Indy Birth Alliance Guidelines. Any posts that violate the guidelines or Facebook group rules will be deleted by the leadership team. This will be at the discretion of the leadership team and any comments or questions should be directed to the Coordinators.
· The Indy Birth Alliance has a zero-tolerance policy regarding breaches of confidentiality. We will not share client names and/or personal information about other members of the group. Such posts will be deleted and members will be removed from the group without warning. Confidentiality is vital to our work and to the health of our community.
· What we read on the Facebook page will stay within the group membership. Those of us who work with/for members of the birth community (such as doctors or midwives) will not share our discussions on the group page.
· We will keep it clean, and refrain from using offensive or violent language.
· We will not make hateful or discriminatory comments regarding race, ethnicity, religion, gender, disability, sexual orientation, or political beliefs.
· We will not violate copyright or intellectual property rights.
· We will not attack specific groups or make comments meant to harass, threaten, or abuse an individual.
To become a member of Indy Birth Alliance:
1. Read and agree to the group guidelines.
2. Read and agree to the Facebook group rules.
3. Provide a proof of professional training attended that relates to birth work.
4. At the end of each year, provide a copy of any ongoing education that you have attended during the year to contribute to your birth work to add up to 8 hours total.
5. List any birth related groups or associations of which you are a member and services your provide
6. Attend at least three group meetings throughout the calendar year.
7. Volunteer in at least one capacity during the calendar year as a hostess, speaker, snack provider, or other.
8. Pay designated dues which will be determined by leadership team. ($80/year)
Copyright © 2021 Indy Birth Alliance - All Rights Reserved.